11. September 18, 2013 - ANJA KOOT AND CHRISTINE HUTT HOSPICE SERVICES OF LAKE COUNTY
* ANJA KOOT AND CHRISTINE HUTT and an entire team of compassionate professionals at Hospice Services of Lake County are committed to the dignity of the human experience by serving the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of individuals and their loved ones through the end of life’s journey. Hospice provides professional assistance with comfort care through pain management, symptom control, and counseling, and through inspiration to all people, including staff and volunteers, to challenge themselves to grow professionally, spiritually, and emotionally. Their vision is to expand their extensive services and increase public awareness within our community and the medical profession regarding end of life issues. Anja Koot, (Pronounced Anya Coat) has worked in the field of healthcare since 1997. She was named the Executive Director of Hospice Services of Lake County in 2012. Her experience with hospice goes back to the early 1970’s when, as a teacher, she taught a high school course on death and dying and this country’s first introduction to the modern hospice movement. Christine Hutt has worked in advertising and marketing since 1981. She has recently been named the Marketing Coordinator for Hospice Services of Lake County after spending the past year developing promotional and advertising materials for the agency. Hospice of Lake County was selected to be honored in the "Elixir" as a commendable contributing organization that operates with compassion and competent management in the redevelopment of the Lake County aspiration to respect and care for all its citizens. In addition, Hospice contributes to the culture and economy of our rural county through grief counseling, bereavement services for men, women and children, children's camps, jobs and low-cost material goods to the community through its thrift shops, and caring and soulful hope and comfort regardless of creed or culture, for those experiencing the end of life, and their families. Hospice Services of Lake County is located at 1717 South Main in Lakeport, CA, and will be moving next year to its new headquarters on Parallel Drive in Lakeport. For more information, please call 707-263-6270, ext. 109; or go to the Hospice website: www.lakecountyhospice.org.
12. September 25, 2013 - BILL GROODY, AWARD-WINNING DOCUMENTARIAN AND WINE AUCTION MARKETING DIRECTOR
* BILL GROODY, award winning White House journalist and documentarian, is the owner of Groody River Films, founded in 1999, with his wife, Gerri. Specializing in issue-oriented productions, Groody River Films is a multi-media company with programs that been broadcast on NBC, Cable Networks, Public Television and RTE in Ireland and independent radio and television stations. "Dying to Live", produced in 2005, was named best documentary at the New Way Film Festival, in Berkeley California in 2006 and has received a number of other awards. In 1989, Gerri Groody received an Emmy for her work as Art Director. Groody River Films serves non-profit and self-funded projects with a simple production style that allows high quality work with reasonable budgets. Because of trust in the final products, many veteran specialists in the industry have offered their skills free of charge. Bill also serves the community with a strong commitment to his voluntary position as Marketing Director of the Lake County Wine Auction, a highly-successful annual fund-raising event organized by the Lake County Wine Alliance that has raised over $1,000,000 to benefit Lake County educational and other non -profit educational and art activities. See Bill's You Tube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/bgroody and website:http://groodyriverfilms.com/ and http://vimeo.com/groodyriverfilms
13. October 2, 2013 - TONY BARTHEL, FEATHERBED RAILROAD, MARKETS OKTOBERFEST WITH JIM MAGLIULO, PRESIDENT OF LAKE COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
* TONY BARTHEL, owner of the Featherbed Railroad Bed and Breakfast in Nice and Marketing Director for the Lake County Chamber of Commerce's Oktoberfest and Jim Magliulo, President of the Chamber, provide an entertaining conversation about Oktoberfest vendors, events and activities in downtown Lakeport on October 5, 2013. Featherbed Railroad Bed and Breakfast is California's most unique rural bed and breakfast vacation destinations. Comprised of nine antique railroad cabooses, the resort is set in a park-like setting overlooking a private boat launch, beach and pier located right on the shore of Clear Lake. See website: www.featherbedrailroad.com/ JIM MAGLIULO is one of Lake County's most enthusiastic supporters, who loves the rolling hills and mountains and the wonderful jewel of Clear Lake itself in the center of the county. As President of the Chamber, he has gained many insights about the businesses and residents of the lake area, and has seen how much it means to the population to work voluntarily toward the growth and development of the community! "The energy and ideas are moving us forward on an exciting path…I love having my children and grandchildren up to the lake where we fish, boat and wakeboard (them, not me!) There’s something for all seasons – in a unique blend of small town camaraderie with appropriate growth and development...Come see for yourself!"...maybe starting with Oktoberfest! See website here: http://www.lakecochamber.com/default.asp.
Hawk and Horse Vineyards
14. October 9, 2013 - TRACEY HAWKINS, CO-OWNER OF HAWK AND HORSE, TALKS BIODYNAMIC DEMETER AND CALIFORNIA CERTIFIED ORGANIC VINEYARDS
* TRACEY HAWKINS and her husband, Mitch Hawkins teamed with the Bois family (David and Christopher) to plant Hawk and Horse Vineyards on the former Arabian Horse Breeding estate. The winery takes its name from the Red-Tail Hawks on the property as well as the ranch’s history as El Roble, an equestrian facility. Horses and horseback are still important components of the ranch. With meticulous vineyard management by Mitch, Hawk and Horse has championed biodynamic winegrape growing from the outset, have been Demeter-certified since 2008, and California Certified Organic (CCOF) since 2004. "Growth in natural patterns are more likely to yield unusually delicious fruit, as discovered in our wines!" The beauty of this unique vineyard and way of life can only be experienced personally. For more information, go to: http://www.hawkandhorsevineyards.com/
Taira St. John, Ph.D., M.F.T.
15. October 16, 2013 - TAIRA ST. JOHN, Ph.D., M.F.T.
* Taira St. John is a Jungian Depth psychotherapist, Family Court Mediator, Certified Online Life Coach, and Director of Alternatives to Violence (ATV). A former news analyst in the White House press corps, and writer-producer for stage and screen, Taira got lost in radio about 12 years ago, producing and hosting her own shows on KPFZ 88.1 fm Lakeport, including Inside Out, It's Your Business, The Taira St. John Show and prior series, including The DNA of Carl Jung, Surfing the Casbahand Improvs with Santa and Ms. Clause.The current series, The Elixir of Lake County: The New Wine Country of Northern California, honors the wine industry with a weekly focus on public education about winegrape growing, winemaking and marketing/distribution. Launched in July, 2013, and introduced by an interview with Debra Sommerfield, President of the Lake County Winegrape Commission, s now anticipated to run through June, 2014. Interviews with winegrape growers, winemakers and other vintners are alternated with interviews with business and professional leaders who have contributed to the Lake County economic and cultural development during this time of global and local/change. When our guest for October 16 had to postpone, Taira winged it with an impromptu monologue on life, death and other metaphysical activities, as viewed by major thinkers and philosophers during eras of change. The interview was recorded over in error, and is irretrievable, perhaps a blessing, according to Taira. For more information, go to: http://www.TairaStJohn.com or to the Elixir of Lake County website.
16. October 23, 2013 - DR. GLENDA HUMISTON, CA STATE DIRECTOR, USDA RURAL DEVELOPMENT INFORMS LAKE COUNTY OF ACCESS TO CAPITAL VIA FEDERAL GRANTS FOR ENTREPRENEURS AND NON-PROFITS
* GLENDA HUMISTON, Ph.D. was appointed by President Obama in 2009 to serve as the California State Director at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Rural Development. Dr. Humiston brings over 25 years of experience working on public policy development and program implementation supporting sustainability. In addition to her experience as a Peace Corps volunteer in Tunisia, Dr. Humiston was Executive Director of nonprofit advocacy, farmland preservation and value-added agriculture development and several years as a consultant on environmental and agricultural issues throughout the western states. Dr. Humiston served President Clinton as Deputy Under Secretary for Natural Resources and Environment at USDA; and managed the Sustainable Development Institute at the 2002 World Summit for Sustainable Development in South Africa and the 2006 World Water Forum in Mexico City. Humiston earned her Ph.D. from U.C. Berkeley in Environmental Science, Policy and Management; her Master’s in International Agricultural Development from U.C. Davis; and a Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science from Colorado State University. Recently Glenda wrote and produced widely-acclaimed guidebooks on Access to Capital and Jobs, Economic Development and Sustainable Communities: Strategizing Policy Needs and Program Delivery for Rural California, that outline an unprecedented federal emphasis on loans and grants to rural northern California as a target region in the U.S. for developing entrepreneurial businesses and farm and corporate productivity. For more information go to: http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/CA-StateDirector.html; or: Linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghumiston
17. October 30, 2013 - PHIL SMOLEY, OWNER/BROKER CPS COUNTRY AIR, ON LOCAL REAL ESTATE VALUES, INTEREST RATES AND ECONOMIC PROJECTIONS
* Phil Smoley, a community leader and astute real estate broker in Lake County, has served the needs of Lake County through the ups and downs of federal, state and local economic fluctuation the past few years. His intelligence and balanced perspective provide helpful insights and tips for evaluating the vagaries of our changing times. CPS Country Air stands alone in Lake County as the premier real estate brokerage on its record of selling more Lake County real estate than any other brokerage in history. As President of the Board of Realtors in 1992, Smoley also co-founded the Redwood Empire Civil War Roundtable, and served as the Executive Director of the Bass Bowl. He is currently President of the Lake County Historical Society. Smoley will update KPFZ on the state of the real estate business, fluc-interest rates and the potential for real estate growth in 2014. For more information, go to: http://www.countryair.com/about/
18. November 6, 2013 - MATT HUGHES - WINEMAKER AT SIX SIGMA - PERFECTING THE ART OF WINE
* Being a fan of "anything fermented" and possessing an insatiable curiosity prompted the start of Matt’s enological adventure. His creativity and drive are backed up by ten years of hands-on winemaking experience, including positions at Wildhurst Vineyards, Kendall-Jackson, and Vérité Estate working under Bordelaise Vigneron Pierre Seillan. Matt and his wife Nancy enjoy the simple pleasures of life on their small homestead farm in Kelseyville. In April, 2009, he joined the Six Sigma team and its commitment to farm the land naturally, without chemicals or tilling. Matt's winemaking style is simply to highlight the best traits of each vineyard and season. In winemaking Six Sigma focuses on producing high quality wines in small lots. From vineyard to crushpad to barrel, each step is carefully monitored to make sure that only the best fruits go into every bottle. "The story of Six Sigma wines is in the bottle. Each varietal, from Sauvignon Blanc to Tempranillo, tells a story of the season, the place and the people who make it. For more information, go to: http://www.sixsigmaranch.com/.
City Planning/Land Use and Management Consultant Richard Knoll
Richard Knoll a serious cyclist
19. November 13, 2013 - RICHARD KNOLL BALANCES WORK, PLAY AND PUBLIC SERVICE IN ENTREPRENEURIAL CITY PLANNING, LAND USE AND MANAGEMENT CONSULTANCY, VIA PLANNED FUN, MUSIC, WRITING, CYCLING AND TRAVEL
* RICHARD KNOLL is a former City of Lakeport Development Director, a new Renaissance Man, carving out a model entrepreneurship to guide Lake County residents in private business and community/personal life development. As director of the Lakeport Redevelopment Agency, responsible for the city’s 612-acre Redevelopment Project Area plus another two decades of city planning and management. Richard was responsible for all projects related to revitalizing our downtown area and other areas of the city in need of "updating and consulting", primarily in the area of land use and management.Interestingly, however, Richard is far from retired.In addition to consulting, he is writing guide books related to economic development, assisting his wife April’s travel agency, the Travel Center in Lakeport and Ukiah! A serious cyclist and a noted drummer in the ever-popular band, the L C Diamonds, Richard's E-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Lake County Diamonds Band
Greg and Marianne Graham
Gregory Graham Vineyards
20. November 20, 2013 - WINEMAKER GREGORY GRAHAM AND CHIC LE CHEF JULIE HOSKINS TALK ABOUT WINE PAIRING FOR UPCOMING HOLIDAYS
* GREGORY GRAHAM AND JULIE HOSKINS both like to dream up imaginative and festive pairing choices for holidays and other occasions. When Greg and his wife, Marianne (shown with Greg in top photo) a Marin County attorney, were considering location, Lake County's clean air and ideal climate and soils proved to be choice conditions for producing high quality grapes. The area’s warm days and cool nights, along with freedom from fog in the summer allow the grapes to receive sun all day. Red, rocky and well-drained soils are ideal characteristics for the winegrapes Greg wanted to grow. Greg and Marianne saw an opportunity to make a mark in an increasingly expanding wine region; and he set out to produce world-class wines from Lake County with his new winery constructed in 2006 at the foot of their vineyard-covered hills.
As grower and winemaker, Greg believes that grape selection, well-timed harvest, and careful production are critical to making great wine. The on-site facility (solar-powered since 2011) with proximity to the vines allows the winemaker to harvest his grapes at the perfect time and engage in winemaking immediately, harvesting at the peak of fruit flavor development, and using boutique techniques with early bottling to preserve the flavors, techniques and quality control of the fruit, with excellent and dependable results. This hands-on approach to winemaking gives consumers fresh, structured, fruit-forward vintages reflective of high quality winegrapes produced throughout the region. The use of the Stelvin® screw cap closure on white varietals preserves the wine’s vibrant fruit while eliminating cork taint and other problems associated with corks. The wines may be tasted in the Gregory Graham Tasting Room, often staffed by Greg and Marianne, with Rex and Reba, their chocolate labs, who greet guests at the pet-friendly winery. For more information, go to: Gregory Graham website: http://www.ggwines.com/scripts/winemakingPg.cfm ______________________________________________________________________ Chic Le Chef JULIE HOSKINS is a former bank executive, local well-known actress and professional radio host. Julie's business acumen and love of cooking have insured gracious and personal attention for clients from serving small, intimate dinner parties to large, catered weddings. Her culinary classes provide education, ideas and tips for hosting and cooking for company. Custom catering with shopping, preparation and cleanup allows clients to achieve the perfect party with less stress and in less time for more fun with guests. Chic Le Chef Julie prepares "TakeOut" dinners, with different menus daily. See Julie's notes on what's cooking today! ...
Julie's attention to fine detail and a comprehensive understanding of quality ingredients and preparation techniques include her meticulous use of fresh and healthy seasonal products and "what's really good for you" quality cuisine. Old favorites such as meatloaf, Chicken Parmesan and Tuscan Pork Loin remain on the menu, but new additions such as meatballs with roasted peppers or goulash and new desserts daily reflect the creative spirit of her offerings at equally thoughtful prices in challenging economic times. Julie likes suggestions and feedback and welcomes your ideas. Julie has her own radio show on KPFZ FM 88.1 Delicious meals "prepared from scratch" may be ordered online at Chic Le Chef Website: http://chiclechef.com/ ; or call (707) 987-2736.